Fill out a Complaint Form available online.
Make sure the complaint states in sufficient detail the following:
- The name and contact information of the Complainant and , the wronged, injured or abused person if different from the Complainant
- The identity of the Authority, officer or member complained against
- The actions complained of, including facts, date and time, location and other particulars
- Names and contact information for any witnesses
- Supporting documents preferably should be attached
Before complaining to the Ombudsman, you should make a report of the wrongdoing or action, in person or in writing, to the Human Resources Department of the Authority concerned. For complaints against the Belize Police Department, this will be the Professional Standards Branch.
How long does the complaints investigative process last?
On average, the investigative process, from the time the complaint was made to the time the Ombudsman completes his investigation and present his findings and recommendations, lasts anywhere between sixty (60) days to six (6) months. Other factors, however, will affect its duration.